Mold is a common problem for many homeowners. Early detection is important to prevent property damage and health complications. Take action if you notice any of these warning signs of indoor mold.

Be Aware of Signs of Indoor Mold

Mold thrives in moist conditions and humid environments. Varieties of indoor mold differ in appearance and are found throughout the home. However, they will all exhibit some of these signs of indoor mold.

1. There is a Strange Odor in the Air

Many types of indoor mold emit a pungent, musty smell. If a certain area in your home smells this way, it’s time to take action. Search for the source and if you can’t find it, contact a professional home inspector to inspect and test for mold.

2. Visible Patches are Obvious Signs of Indoor Mold

This is less a warning sign and more a red flag. One of the most obvious signs of indoor mold is visible growth on walls, floors, ceilings, tubs, showers, and sinks.

When you see mold growing anywhere in your home, clean it as soon as possible. Some mold will enter the air when disturbed, causing the spores to spread and grow elsewhere. Hiring an expert to deal with the problem is the safest way to address mold.

3. Water Damage as a Sign of Indoor Mold

If you notice water stains on the ceilings, walls, or inside cabinets, you may have mold growing on or beneath the surfaces. Moisture damage creates water stains, which is a common sign of mold growth.

Plumbing problems and leaks left untreated can lead to water damage, moisture, and an environment conducive to mold. If you have leaky pipes or suspect other moisture issues, contact a professional for repairs.

4. Inexplicable Health Problems

Many types of mold can cause health-related symptoms. Some signs of indoor mold include:

  • Coughing and sneezing
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Flare-ups of respiratory conditions such as asthma
  • Red eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Sore, itchy throat

If you experience these conditions and especially if your symptoms improve when you’re away from home, contact a professional to test your home for mold.

Getting Rid of Mold in Your Home

While there are DIY mold removal techniques, it’s unlikely that you can remove all of the tiny spores that lead to further growth. The most effective way to remove mold from the home is to hire a professional.

RE/INSPEX Home Inspections provides air sampling and testing for mold along with other home inspection services for Northwest North Carolina. Contact us to schedule an appointment.